As a matter of fact, the fishnet stockings trend is literally getting out of hand. Between those who hosannas and those who condemn them, it is no longer clear what is, or is not, the most appropriate way to wear them. For this reason, although I did not want to talk about it having a very rigid point of view, I still decided to do it. Let’s find out together the best tips on how to wear fishnet stockings.
The fishnet stockings
This type of collant tights, characterized by a weft of threads open to form a series of rhombuses reminiscent of a fishing net, is certainly not an invention today. They made their first appearance in flesh color in the 1950s and then became, in black, in the 1980s, a sign of transgression. From there, in fact, they remained in the collective mentality a symbol of vulgarity.
Now, personally, I don’t think it’s so much a vulgar or non-vulgar speech anymore. We all know that if worn in certain contexts and with certain garments these can be not only vulgar but even worse. As with any trend, it is up to a woman’s individual good taste to understand how, when, where and if she can wear them. Of course, the fact remains that having style and class does not entail following every trend that is launched by force, but perhaps more than not considering it at all.
Trend fishnet collant
We assume that I don’t like them and have never liked them. However, like any “novelty” that is fished out and transformed into a trend, before deciding which side to take I always do a good search. I study every opinion, point of view and inspiration. In this case, however, I found too many conflicting ones. What exactly is or isn’t the right way on how to wear fishnet stockings with knowledge of the facts remains a mystery. So in the end I made my own opinion.
But first, I want to clarify that I know very well that I am not a woman of great style. This is why I absolutely do not want to allow myself to lay down the law in this regard. I simply tried to please them a little more by trying to open my old school mind so I can say how, in my opinion, they are acceptable or not in an outfit.
5 tips on how to wear the black fishnet stockings
- Fishnet stockings should be worn only and exclusively if you really like them regardless of the trend of the moment. If in the past we were already used to these tights and if they make us feel at ease. Striving is worse. It shows and the result is very bad.
- Prefer models with small meshes, they are less noticeable and are much easier to make less vulgar and provocative.
- Basically they are of little use. At the most they retain some cellulite. Attracting a lot of attention, they become the undisputed protagonists of the entire look. So they must be combined with sobriety. They can be used to make a basic dress, a maxi pull or a minimal skirt modern. No with fancy garments and under any type of trousers or ripped fashion jeans. Not even with pleated, sequin or tulle skirts.
- By choosing to wear them and being the protagonists at this point they must be shown. So yes to skirts with a length from just above the knee up but, I recommend, that they are basic and simple models. Yes also to denim skirts as long as the look is purely urban and street style.
- Finally, they should only be worn with closed shoes and never with sandals or open toe.
Fishnet stockings yes or not?
In conclusion, I kindly ask you to leave all the fashionable whims that are invented limited to Vogue photo shoots. Until proven otherwise we live in reality, not on the pages of a magazine. And yes, technically we all also say we want to set a good example of elegance. So let’s start to be honest because I exclude many of us from really walking around like they throw ourselves on the net.
Finally, convinced feminists and curvy women like me don’t want too much, but 48 and up, you should also have the common sense to avoid fishnet stockings. Ironically speaking, we like to eat salami without seeing it walking down the street. As they say, the tastes are many but the good taste pleasant to see is always and only one.
I’m sorry, with this trend I haven’t been able to compromise as I thought but I preferred to be honest. Among all the inspirations seen online, however, I found some great outfit ideas on how to wear black fishnet stockings in the right way. I hope they give the idea well.